Monday, July 10, 2006

gray skies

*phew* these 12 hr days are quite a bit to deal with. But today was the first day that taking the bus--to the site and back--was completely successful! Yahoo!

No, I didn´t do anything fun this weekend. I knitted, watched Pride and Prejudice, and got some rest. Well worth my time, honestly. Nothing else I´d care to discuss happened.

The site work is going much quicker now. Half the group (incl me) are working until 3:30 this week, and the following week we´ll all stay that late because the other students´ classes will finally be over.

So an exciting thing is that I found out about our work is that a representative of the Getty Institute (big philanthropist group) will be arriving around Aug 5th to stay for a few days, look at our work, and hopefully get the process going to get funding to conserve the site. It´s thrilling b/c 1) it means our work is actually more important in the immediate future than I thought, and 2) I want to meet a Getty rep b/c they´re the ones I want to apply to to get money for the museum in Huacho (the one I want to work with in conjunction for my diss). Very cool.

Besides that, I´m excited with my crafts. I started making the cat bed; yes, I´m knitting a pink and multicolored pastel fluffy cat bed. They´re spoiled and I´m being girly, go figure. My greem purse is almost done now with all the pieces, too. And I started doing a crossstitch piece, too. I promise I´ll start reading my books for studying this next weekend.

Okay, so obviously I haven´t figured out yet how to shrink down my pictures enough to put them on here--I don´t want to have them too big to load. Have patience, I´m working on it, and honestly there´s not much to see beyond some dirt. This site is seriously lacking in any artifacts, the whole surface is clean. Well, not literally, there´s still modern trash everywhere.

And the winter weather here reminds me of Ohio winter--it´s not as chilly, but grey gray gray grey. All day. With big gray low foggy clouds obscuring everything. Ick.

So there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy - Mom sent me a link to your blog so I can keep up with what you're doing. Talk to you soon! I miss you.

7:23 PM  
Blogger ahtzib said...

I met up with a Getty representative once on my prior project in El Salvador. They seemed less than interested. But given the way the project was being run, in retrospect I can't blame them.

BTW, the Getty just agreed to give back several pieces of looted art.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/content.asp?aid=71934

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=afyLn5VtCX0w&refer=us

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home