Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Refresher Course

Well, I just sent out the link to this page, especially to a number of people I haven´t talked to much in a while. So here´s a mini-briefing on what´s been going on with me since undergrad:

I graduated from Univ of Cincinnati in Dec 02 with a BA in anthropology, honors etc.
Went to Panama for 6 wks for a course on Tropical Ecology.
Went to Mesa Verde CO for 3 months working on updating the collection to archival-quality.
Went to Belize for 3 months on an excavation field school.

Started at Tulane University, New Orleans in Fall 03 to get a PhD in archaeology.
Summer of 04 went to Peru for 1 1/2 months to work in a lab with lithics for Proyecto Arqueologico de Norte Chico.
Back with classes Fall 04, worked on campus at Stone Center for Latin American Studies.
Summer 05 went to Peru again for a little over 1 month to do some survey. Found a great site (La Centinela) which I´d love to do my diss at.

Fall 05 hit and so did Hurricane Katrina. Not only did it set back my school timetable by 1 semester, but my rental house was flooded and I lost pretty much everything. Thank goodness FEMA actually did help some. So did my family, they´re wonderful.
Instead of classes then, I went to Washingotn DC and lived there for 4 months and worked with the Smithsonian Institution. They taught me some about museum archaeology and I studied for my comps.
Dec 05 got engaged to Tim, recent PhD grad from Tulane in sociocultural anthro, he´s a great guy. :)

Back to Tulane for Spring 06, living in a FEMA trailer.
Summer 06 went to Guatemala for 1 month to learn spanish more intensively.
Currently, I´m in Peru (Miraflores) for 2 months working with the Yachaywasi Conservation Institute at Cajamarquilla evaluating the deterioration of adobe walls.

If all goes well, I´ll take my oral exmas and my last 2 classes this Fall 06, apply to grants and get a prospectus approved for my diss work, get my Master´s in Dec. Then Spring 07 I´ll teach a class. No clue for next summer yet. And I won´t count on anything, I know too many unexpected things could happen.

Any questions? *grin*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home