Tuesday, September 12, 2006

reorientation

So I've heard some suggestions and given some thought as to what to do with this blog. Here's the result:

My lazy half would most likely just let it lie until the next summer out of the country, but in a weird attempt to keep myself motivated with obligatory scheduled actions, I've decided to try and post every day. I have a rather free-form semester this year, and I need the structure as well as the pressure to write.

However, I want to avoid a daily-journalesque theme of "I did this today". I don't care to be so ego-centric and it would likely become too boring anyhow; study habits and yoga, though pleasant, aren't the most thrilling subject matter to read about.

What I'd like to do, in an attempt to enrich your lives and mine, is to share something interesting every day. Por lo menos (at least), you'll get one photo per day--it may be something mundane that I like, it may be from a past trip I've been on, whatever that catches my eye. Along with that will be a comment or two--maybe an anecdote about the picture if I've got one, maybe something completely different--but it shouldn't be more than a paragraph or two.

Admittedly, I'm not quite as contemplative, artistic, or philosophical as some other blogs I enjoy -- i.e. yarnstorm, also the new link to an extremely well-written blog "ghostwriter" that I added today; good examples of why I prefer blogger over all the other blog-sites --but don't expect me to try to achieve that exactly. But I will do my very best to have something pleasing that varies every day.

Enjoy.


-------
So, to start:



This is a lovely old stone mill on the campus of Berry College in Rome, GA. I spent this past weekend with Tim and got to visit there. It was built in 1930 by the students of the college--their philosophy emphasizes work-study. In case you're wondering, yes, it is an unusually large wheel--42 feet in diameter, one of the world's largest wooden overshot wheels (according to the Berry info). You can read a bit more about it at http://www.berry.edu/vtour/html/mountain/oldmill.html.

Their campus is huge space-wise, lots of woods with very pretty occasional clearings that tons of deer like to hang out in. The deer are hiding on campus from the hunters and are completely unafraid. One had the chutzpah to pose for me, and he really is that close:

The style and feel of the place is very old-fashioned rural and it's absolutely beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home